Views:2 Author:Site Editor Publish Time: 2019-02-13 Origin:Site
Tramadol may be habit forming, especially with prolonged use. Take tramadol exactly as directed. Do not take more of it, and not take it more often, or take it in a different way than directed by your doctor. While taking tramadol, discuss with your health care provider your pain treatment goals, length of treatment, and other ways to manage your pain.
There is a greater risk when you overuse tramadol if you are or were in these conditions.
· Drink or has ever drunk large amounts of alcohol
· Use or has ever used street drugs
· Has overused prescription medications
· Have or have ever had depression or another mental illness
· Have or have ever had slowed breathing or asthma
· Have or have ever had lung disease such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
· A head injury or any condition that increases the amount of pressure in your brain An older adult
· Weak or malnourished due to disease
· Children younger than 12 years of age
· Children 12 to 18 years of age who are obese or who have a neuromuscular disease,a lung disease, or obstructive sleep apnea.
· Taking or plan to take any of the following medications: amiodarone (Nexterone, Pacerone); certain antifungal medications including itraconazole (Onmel, Sporanox), ketoconazole (Nizoral), and voriconazole (Vfend); benzodiazepines such as alprazolam (Xanax), diazepam (Diastat, Valium), estazolam, flurazepam, lorazepam (Ativan), and triazolam (Halcion); carbamazepine (Carbatrol, Epitol, Equetro, Tegretol, Teril); erythromycin (Erytab, Erythrocin); certain medications for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) including indinavir (Crixivan), nelfinavir (Viracept), and ritonavir (Norvir, in Kaletra); medications for mental illness, nausea, or pain; muscle relaxants; phenytoin (Dilantin, Phenytek); quinidine (in Nuedexta); rifampin (Rifadin, Rimactane, in Rifamate); sedatives; sleeping pills; or tranquilizers.
The precautions you should know when using Tramadol:
· If you are taking the tramadol extended-release tablet or capsule, swallow them whole; do not chew, break, divide, crush, or dissolve them.
· Do not drink alcohol, take prescription or nonprescription medications that contain alcohol, or use street drugs during your treatment.
· Do not allow anyone else to take your medication. Tramadol may harm or cause death to other people who take your medication, especially children.
· Take tramadol exactly as directed. Do not take more medication as a single dose or take more doses per day than prescribed by your doctor.
· Keep this medication in the container it came in, tightly closed, and out of reach of children. Store it at room temperature and away from excess heat and moisture (not in the bathroom).